Monday, May 14, 2007

Back into the Water

After a 2-week hiatus I was going to let another weekend go by without any surf. My morning check on Saturday was beyond disappointment. I double-checked again later on and I had to surrender to the reality of "flat conditions"! I had to be in North County on Sunday and I left PB without much hope for the day.
In Encinitas conditions were better, at least surfable, and on my way back I thought I could give it a try.
I stopped by the house and grabbed the longboard. The Cliffs were showing knee high waves, glassy conditions and a consistent pulse.
I rarely surf in the afternoon and I noticed how crowds are way different compared to the early morning crew. They have the tendency to be more talkative and louder. I ended up in a line up made of women only, in their 40's, who all knew each other. It was kind of fun to hang out among them. They were all longboarding, hooting and cheering for their rides.
Surfing without a leash gives incredible freedom, especially in areas with heavy kelp. Waves were gently rolling on the reef and fading in the inside. The sun was shining and the light was so bright I had a hard time keeping my eyes open. Surfing at 3 pm on a sunny day is quite different compared to my usual pre-dawn sessions. I realized I still enjoy surfing a longboard on small waves like these...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home