Saturday, July 14, 2007

Channel Islands Surfboards

Channel Islands 6'6" Retro Fish

Channel Islands 6'1" Quad.

Channel Islands sponsored the demo event at Buccaneer Beach on Saturday morning. It was the most impressive display of boards I've ever seen. They offered approximately 60 different boards and I really had a hard time choosing which one I wanted to test.
My first pick has been a 6'1" quad fish. I liked the manoeuvrability of the board in waist high conditions and the acceleration of the board in a typical "mushy-beach-break" setting.
The "loose feel" of these boards is the quality that made them so popular in the last 2 years. I particularly like them in small surf , when there's no concern about "spinning out".
My second choice was dictated by the rising tide and poor surf conditions; I opted for a 6'6" epoxy twin fish. The board was the perfect choice for the high tide sloppy waves. It would be the ideal alternative to a long-board, given the epoxy buoyancy and the 3-inch thickness throughout the middle section.
By the time I ended up testing my second board...the surf turned into crap. The wind kicked it and the tide left us with knee high left-overs. I wish I could have tried another 3 or 4 models.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home