Saturday, November 10, 2007

Talkin' Pipe


Saturday morning I received unexpected news! Jaime was crossing the border from Tecate on his way to Oceanside!! It's always good to reunite with all friends and after a brief stop in PB we planned to see each other the same evening for an event in North County.
I took advantage of one of the lowest tides of the year to check the tide pools in Point Loma in the afternoon. I even paddled out in ankle high surf to explore the reef. The classic San Diego winter light was on... the occasional micro-wave unfolded on the shallow reef with surgical perfection. On one tiny wave I slid into the pocket trying to glide as long as I could. It happened to be the only surfable wave of my brief session but I was mesmerized by the translucent emerald light reflecting through that glassy wall. Sometimes, in surfing, a brief moment like that justifies the whole session. It reminded me of the same visual effect we experience in old cathedrals when the sun shines through Gothic stained-glassed windows...
In the evening Jerry Lopez and Jock Sutherland were going to present a slide show of classic shots from the early 70's: "Talkin' Pipe with Jock and Jerry". The venue in Cardiff was packed: Davon Howard introduced the guests. John Peck and Joe Roper showed up for the event.
Every slide had an interesting story behind, and I really appreciated some subtle explanations by Lopez of how Pipeline was gradually conquered, and the difficulties of paddling out to a spot that was considered forbidden until the late 60's.
Patrick, Bill, Ron, Dede, Pam, Jaime and Roland showed up a bit late, but after the show we ended up at "Las Olas" on PCH for drinks and food.
It was the first time in probably 6 years that 4 original neighbors from 3363 Ocean Front Walk were sitting together at the same table!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home