Monday, January 14, 2008

Afternoon Delight

(Photo: Kathy Krane)

My friend Henri visited from Europe on his way back to Oahu. After a quick and uneventful session on Friday afternoon, we paddled out on Saturday in solid overhead at 6 am. We were joined by Travis, Art and Allister. Unfortunately, a fast rising tide made conditions less than ideal...too much water moving didn't allow to generate proper speed down the face. For different reasons we were all out of shape. Travis was virtually dry since last April, Henri was jet-legged and I was unusually weak. My session can be counted as one of the worse of the last 12 months and for no apparent reason. It is true I hadn't surfed in 12 days, but I don't think that's the main reason. Fortunately I was able to regain some dignity on Sunday afternoon. I paddled out at CH on a dropping tide in the early afternoon. The Cliffs were going off with light off-shores and occasional 10 foot sneaker sets! It reminded me of one of those classic 2-page spreads in Surfer mag issues of the late 70's...the quintessential Southern California winter experience: emerald feathering A-frames on a glassy afternoon! I was able to use the experience gained the day before and drive the Shros 6'8" with more resolution. Glad I was able to go out and catch a few bombs on such a beautiful day...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home